Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Ogden, I'm Breaking Up With You...

This one time Brody and I decided to wear big boy and girl panties and buy a house. While Brody made good decisions and wanted to live in a nice suburban area, maybe in a cul-de-sac close to Targets and Starbucks, Arielle made bad decisions and said, "let's give Ogden a try!"


See, Arielle used to work in Ogden before they moved there. Arielle worked in inner city Ogden. And although it had its share of drug deals, pushy panhandlers and drive by shootings, Arielle knew that the city was buckling down on its clean up efforts. She knew the city had some quirks but it boasted great local shops, city art and wonderful community activities. They were just 3 blocks away from historic 25th street with amazing bars, restaurants and boutiques! Brody was not convinced. Because Brody had a fucking brain. But Arielle can nag her way into anything so there they were, living in downtown Ogden.



Even after a homeless guy tried to break in their house after a month she still hoped for the best. Even after someone put FUCKING SAND in her gas tank, she still saw the good side of Ogden, even when someone stole their propane tank to their grill, Arielle defended her city of residence.



But now Arielle is done.



And I'm done talking in third person because it's weird. 



So apparently our neighbors can't afford a lawn mower and mow down the wild savanna that is their lawn, or buy actual curtains rather than using WinCO bags on their windows. But they can buy enough fireworks to do a decent firework show every night...since June 28th. Oh and they can't pick up the trash from said firework that lays in the road either. While they are enjoying their little fireworks spectacular, it's fucking Monday night for those who are employed and we have JOBS that we have to WAKE UP for in THREE FUCKING HOURS. I saw the same neighbors trying to buy beer on WIC. A bag of peas has a higher i.q than these folks. 



And tonight, it's now past 10 on Wednesday and our street sounds like a Petey Pablo concert. 



Maybe I'm acting to much of a Clint Eastwood in his "get off my lawn" days but seriously? Wednesday? I know it's summer. But that doesn't mean that people don't work. 



The new LDS temple opens this weekend, 7 blocks away from our house. And Ogden city has been in full swing trying to clean the surrounding area up. New banners and newly painted sculptures line the streets. They have ambassadors volunteering to help tourists find restaurants. It's supposed to bring in a ton of tourism. And yet I feel jipped.



Does it really have to take a new temple to clean up our city? What it feels like is Ogden City is shoving all of the "inner city" clutter into the hall closet and under the bed and buying a new tablecloth to impress the out of town relatives. Yeah that's great that between 22nd and 25th and Wall and Washington are getting a face lift, but what about the rest of your city? What about the nasty ass needles I find on the sidewalk that I have to hope my dog didn't step on when I take her for walks? What about the stores on Lincoln on 26th that have bullet holes in the windows? What about the fact every night Brody and I lay awake playing Gunshot or Firework? 



 I tried taking a chance on living in Ogden. I love the farmers market and the Friday Art Strolls. I love what the owners of Alleged have done for our city. But I am annoyed. I am annoyed that every morning I spend 20 minutes putting my trash back into my trash can because someone has thrown it across our lawn looking for cans. I am annoyed that I can't go to sleep until 3 am on a Tuesday because there is no common decency. 



Now that I'm getting closer to paying off my debt (that's what I'm telling myself...ahem..). We will start putting in new counter tops and flooring, we will finish the re-painting, And we will sell our home. Which makes me sad, because I LOVE this house. I LOVE my home. It truly is my favorite place. And we will look for some place to live where I feel safe walking my dog by myself and where we know our stuff won't get stolen. And that makes me sad too, because I had high hopes for Ogden. 



Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go to bed because it's 10:30, which means I get to lay in bed and listen to the soothing sounds of my neighbor rev his motorcycle for 45 minutes while the people across the street listen to the Insane Clown Posse's Greatest Hits. 




No comments:

Post a Comment